Type Here to Get Search Results !

Effectiveness of the Use of Local Sanction by Smallholder Farmers in Agricultural Loan Recovery Under the Community Banking System in Enugu State Nigeria

Abstract:

Distress problems in .Nigerian financial institutions resulted into their liquidation. I Prior to the distress syndrome, many financial institutions could not respond very effectively ~ to the needs of small-holder farmers in Nigeria. I However, empirical evidence shows that debt recovery is one major constraint of most financial institutions. It was in view of the identified problem that a research was carried out in Enugu State of Nigeria to investigate how effective is the use )of local sanction I ' strategies for agricultural loans by farmers under the community banking system. The result of final statistics of factor analysis showed that three factors accounted for 72.3 percent of the total variance observed in farmer' loan recovery 'rankings of nine I attributes. Factor one alone accounted for 35.4% of the observed variance compared to I 23.3 % accounted for by factor two, and 13.6% by factor three., Thus, factor one may therefore, be regarded as "the group's refusal of loan-debtors having share in annual feasts amongst others or stoppage of social benefit", factor two as "non participation in elective , I positions" while factor three may be regarded as "market sanctions" with Eigenvalues of ;, I I "3.1 8041 5 a~1 ~.224l9O respectively. The Variance summarized values were 0.35453, ! 1 0.23268. 0.1361 , 0.72331 for factors 1, 2, 3 and cornrnunality of 0.72331 respectively. 1, , I Recommendations are that the edict and decree establishing community banks and authorities as peer groups to seize and sell assets of defaulting members to offset of loans their loan should be strengthened and entrenched with more empowerment to community I guaranteed. Community banks' loan recovery linkages should be studied further with probit, logit, tobit or linear probability models to improve on the gains of recent research findings. The use of community leaders and bank officials as recovery team for loan debt is - - recommended.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
Feel free to contact us chat with us on WhatsApp
Hello, How can I help you? ...
Click me to start the chat...